Saturday, January 21, 2012

Bubba-Pépère

When I became a first-time grandfather 18 months ago I had to decide what I wanted to be called. Even though I didn’t grow up in the French-Canadian culture as my cousins did, I decide that I wanted to be called Pépère (pronounced “pep-pay”).  So as Caleb is learning to talk, he can pronounce some words, or at least make a good attempt.  So when you ask him about “Nana” (my spouse), he’ll respond at least with a single syllable “Na.”  When you ask him where is Pépère? He’ll turn and point to me.  The other day my daughter was attempting to get Caleb to pronounce “Pépère” but out came a distinct “Bubba.”  Great, a Bubba-Pépère. Mixed cultural grandpa.  

3 comments:

Erin said...

Hey, America's a melting pot, right? Or a patchwork quilt. Or something like that...

Assistant Village Idiot said...

It's sort of reminiscent of Fruma-Sarah.

Rin_Ney said...

He loves his Bubba!