Sunday, July 29, 2012

It’s Newfoundland, Not Disneyland

Previously I’ve posted references to my wife and I having lived in St. John’s, Newfoundland for a year and a half while I was doing some graduate work – Iceberg Beer and real icebergs. This USA Today travel article profiles Newfoundland and makes it clear that you can expect rustic beauty and reality – not Disneyland.  That rustic beauty and the friendly native population is what created lasting memories for my wife and me. We lived in Maine for three years and certainly appreciate the Maine coast.  But the Newfoundland coastal scenery puts Maine to shame I’m afraid.

The article mentions St. John’s and several communities around the north-facing Conception Bay and Trinity Bay and a few towns we had the opportunity to visit, like Heart’s Content, Heart’s Desire and Heart’s Delight.  But we never did make it to Bonavista Bay, heavily mentioned in the travel article. My graduate research was in the huge south-facing Placentia Bay (separating the Avalon Peninsula from the Burin Peninsula) and I had many opportunities to explore abandoned outports as the linked photos reference. One of these days I’ll get around to posting my photos on-line.

Here's the official travel website for Newfoundland and Labrador (all one province).

No comments: